Log in

Tue, Sep. 28th, 2010, 05:48 pm
Tool hire question

What's the difference between a Cultivator ("for preparation of ground prior to sowing or planting"), a Power Digger ("For digging uncultivated ground"), and a Rotavator (different web site, no description)?

Tue, Sep. 28th, 2010 07:27 pm (UTC)

Rotavator was a proprietary term for one of that type of cultivator (or powered tiller or hoe), it has since become used as a generic (much like Hoover and Xerox). I would think that a "power digger" is a more drastic thing (like the powered spades used in road work), but they could be used interchangeably by some people.

But I would ask the people who are using the terms what they mean by them (or specifically the ones from whom you intend to acquire the thing), they may have their own specialised meanings. I'd tell them what I wanted to do and ask for their recommendations.